One of the perks of owning your own private pool villa in Phuket is the option to dine outside and host your own poolside dinner parties! In homage to our most recent Phuket Island review this months recipe will be the simple yet delicious classic, Thai coconut rice!
Ingredients: serves 4
2 cups Thai white jasmine rice; 2 cups coconut milk; 1 3/4 cups water; 2 heaped tbsp. shredded coconut (dry tends to be preferable to fresh for this recipe); 1/2 tsp. salt; 1/2 tsp. coconut oil; 1-2 tbsp. toasted coconut for garnish (optional); handful cashew nuts & coriander (optional)
1. Grease a large pot (with a tight fitting lid) with oil and then put the rice, coconut milk, dry coconut shavings and salt in the pot.
2. Set over medium-high heat and stir occasionally to keep rice from sticking to the bottom of the pot and burning.If rice begins to stick remove pan and lower temperature slightly before continuing.
3. When the coconut-water is gently simmering, reduce the heat to low, cover tightly with a lid and simmer 15-20 minutes, or until the majority of the coconut water has been absorbed by the rice.
4. Turn off the heat but leave the rice covered for a further 5-10 minutes, this allows the rice to steam until you are ready to serve.
5. To toast the coconut for the garnish, place 2 tbsp. dry shredded coconut in a frying pan and fry over medium-high heat until light golden brown. No oil is needed for frying.
6. Season to taste, fluff up the rice and serve with a sprinkling of toasted coconut, cashew nuts and coriander.